The newest & greatest book in our home is such a source of conflict. In the evening it blocks out all other thinking, its full obsession love. Must. read. another. page. can't. put. book. down. We all fall prey to this occasionally so I understand completely. In the morning for school it became a full out house hunt, where's the book?!? I put it away last night knowing it would be a source of struggle in the morning. That and I really want him to finish the Percy Jackson book he's halfway through. Once he starts the new one, Percy is doomed to never be completed. I also understand ditching a book if it no longer holds interest, but he was interested & needs to be pushed to finish it for the sake of finishing it. Thats a life skill too.
Mr D wants to look up the author at school. I wrote it down on a piece of paper to refer to. No Mom, I need the book, the author has an exclusive blog that is only listed in his book. Despite assurances that this published author would have a public blog that should be easy to find with a simple online search engine, the house was rummaged. Ahhhggg! He found it, now I have to wrestle it away, threatening to rip the pages to keep it away. I was already engaged, if I lost this battle he would not do any schoolwork today, fixating entirely on this new book. So with grim resistance he concedes he didn't want the book ripped. Minutes from the impending school bus time, he goes into the backyard! He's looking for his bug carrier that is full of 50 caterpillars that he collected from the school on Friday. The bug carrier was Friday's obsession, I just didn't blog it. He had a really intelligent insight on Friday. Why can't they teach about human reproduction alongside the caterpillar life cycle instead of these boring nasty class lectures about how our bodies grow. I told him that I didn't know, but he's right, it would be more interesting. Switch back to today, I'm screaming out the back door, GET TO THE BUS! to which I get the reply, Okaaayyyy. Thankfully we do not have the previous school busdriver who was a stickler for being on time all the time or you get the warning reports. Three warning reports & you have to have a bus meeting before riding the bus privileges are reinstated. This busdriver is a little more casual about time & is not perfectly on time, whew! My poor neighbors will be glad this school year is done too. On the positive side, Mr D apologized for being so difficult & stressing me out this morning.