Video games, the bane of my patience and the love of my son. They're great, they teach repetition, problem solving, pattern recognition. They jump over the hurdle of anxiety that we can't do something because its not real, just a game. They also build huge amounts of physical tension ("stress") while MrD's playing because he has to sit still, pay attention, direct the game, and ignore his environment. That's a great way to veg out, until it's time to get off the game. I have learned without limits, it is impossible to get cooperation. If he's not off the game by the agreed on time, then he will forfeit double time the next day, or lose game time completely the next day. Much whining, and arguing ensues. I'm not his friend, I'm his Mom, I have a right to direct how he uses our resources.
A certain amount of parenting is being uncomfortable, making a child do what they know they should do, but don't want to. Pushing a child to be uncomfortable (within reason) is how they learn. We learn math & english skills with repetition. We learn to face uncomfortable situations by jumping in or researching first & they trying. We learn by watching someone else do it first or falling on our face. We teach overcoming anxiety every day in small & large ways. We do no favours hiding our own emotional discomfort all the time. It is exhausting constantly titrating to push or to hold back.
Back to video games, they're addictive but fun. There's a balancing act we have to teach. I like to experiment to see what happens. There's sound playing layers of music or a constant drone, turn it down or allow it to scream. There's blinking lights, changing colours, changing screens, changing challenges. Imposing a short time limit is stressful, but so is allowing a free for all for an afternoon. Its important to also interrupt him frequently on some games, just for the experience. It is important to allow the experience of these factors and then talk about it. I am trying very hard to appeal to MrD's sense of intelligence and growing experience & awareness. It can't hurt to encourage him to think about it.
I find playing repetitive pattern solving games like solitaire, tetris, bejeweled or angry birds, relaxing, but after awhile my mind wanders away. I said it, I get bored. Interestingly, MrD is a terrible audience to video games, he's like a bad backseat driver! I almost forgot how important it is to have the audience experience since I have lots of forced time in that seat. I think it is great to be an audience because I learn how the other person problem solves and learn different strategies, or at least how they strategize somewhat. MrD learns that he can't have his way, he can't impose his will, he is not in control, and there's nothing he can do about it. That's life too!
We need to play more board games & card games. They are so vital to turn taking, winning & losing, and strategy. Most importantly of all, human interaction. Electronics are taking over the world, its a digital age of internet, TV, advertising, games, shopping, communications, reading and entertainment. They seem to omit social manners, interactions, and respect for space & property. Most interestingly, they seem to promote addictive behaviours. I can't go anywhere without seeing someone glued to a cell phone. Is that anxiety I see when someone is constantly checking facebook? Is it misdirected nervous energy? Is it depression masked as addiction thinly veiled in obsession with email?
I am really impressed with human resiliency. More and more people are dumping their facebook accounts after realizing that it is a glorified high-school setting of competing for status. Not to mention it can be a horrendous time vampire. I'm hoping that is saturation and intelligence at work for people to realize, they control their media not vice versa. I believe this to be an active example of problem solving at its more complex levels. If our heads are down too long, eventually we realize when we come up for air that something is amuck. We intuitively recognize a pattern of "something's wrong" with our time usage. Pattern recognition leads problem solving. This is why I fight so hard with my son over the every day battles. If I don't interrupt him and teach him what I am seeing, he cannot easily recognize it himself. To allow mistakes and not always engage in the battles, he hopefully can also learn that he needs to control it. We all learn self control, by experience and trial & error. Thankfully, we don't have to learn everything that way, all humans are intelligent to some degree. I strongly feel that fostering an awareness of feelings is crucial to knowing WHY things are right & wrong. Without feelings, we would all be sociopaths to some degree.